Saturday, September 16, 2006

Poetry.slam@NuyoricanPoetsCafe

A culturally stimulating night was what I had last night. It was the first time that I watched a Poetry Slam and I thought the performance was really cool and great! It was something that tourists would never experience in NY. Although I am not a person gifted with an inexhaustive list of vocabulary nor do I have a wonderful sense of rhythm(haha my friends will second that anytime) but I enjoyed the stirring atmosphere and the messages that the poets were trying to convey.

I felt the angst, the frustrations, the political views, the social concerns and more importantly the insight to the lives of the people.

Many of these poets are really young.. It ranged from 16 to late 20's...They talked about drugs, growing up, love, underprivileged kids and even people who whistled at their mums,etc! More often than not, I struggled to follow what they were trying to say. Especially when they burst into rapid fire mode and speak like a speeding bullet and when they spoke in Spanish which I do not understand. These people are really talented and I admire their courage to go on stage to read out the poems that they had written. For that alone, I would have given each and every one of them at least a score of 8.5. Haha, I liked it when the judges get booed..seems like low scores have no place in a bar like this. We didn't stay till the end to find out who won but I have a feeling the female teacher won it.

All in all, it was a wonderful hang out night. We even capped the night off with beer at a nearby german pub, fries from the Belgium Fries place and Jap food at Kenka. Haha, I learned 2 lessons last night.

1) Always have dinner before a night out like this..(I was starving the whole night)
2) Never use beer to stop your hunger, it just makes you tired and sleepy..haha..(I was so sleepy after beer last night, I didn't even have much of my ramen and jap food)

Hmm, I should get pictures from someone..I think Val had a camera, maybe she took some photos..haha, suppose to go clubbing tonight with Changge, Edward, XT and some other people..My wallet is bleeding dry really fast..I wonder how long I can keep this up. On top of that, I have homeworks to complete! haha, Life of a Student in NY..Maybe I should go write a poem on it *wink*

*ps: thanks to all my dear friends who expressed concerns over the last post. I am alright now! yes yes, nothing is wrong now. No bones broken or fractured, no synapses damaged and nobody was harmed. =) I am off to face the world again!

Until next time, peace out...

No comments: